Wednesday, April 8, 2015

WVTK Local & State News April 8, 2015

According to the National Weather Service, January to March was the coldest on record for Vermont & New York in 121 years. While Vermont and New York had record cold temperatures, the rest of the country was well above normal. The report found near-record warmth spanned the Great Plains to the West Coast and parts of the Southeast.

Supporters of a Vermont carbon tax say they've signed up the owners of more than 200 mostly small business owners who are advocating for the change. At a news conference on Wednesday, officials from businesses ranging from Ben & Jerry's to Champlain Orchards to Seventh Generation spoke of the benefits of imposing a tax on carbon emissions and using the money for energy efficiency and for tax cuts elsewhere. Prospects for a carbon tax look slim this year as the Legislature enters the final six weeks of its 2015 session. But supporters say they're hoping to build momentum for a push next year.

Police in Colchester are investigating a home invasion. Police say two or three males forced their way into a home on Shannon Road yesterday. The men demanded money from the 21-year-old woman inside the home with her baby daughter. The suspect fled the scene in a silver sedan, and the victims were not injured during the incident.

Burlington Police say the Department of Corrections notified them that Richard Laws plans to come to Burlington after being released tomorrow. While incarcerated, Laws was not compliant with sex offender treatment and will no longer be supervised by the Department of Corrections as he maxed out his sentence. Laws' prior offenses, including convictions for aggravated assault, aggravated sexual assault, and kidnapping against adult women. Police say he sometimes makes initial contact with victims at bars. Burlington Police plan on contacting local shelters and downtown establishments door to door Wednesday evening.

A man accused of killing his two-year-old stepdaughter last year is facing new charges. Dennis Duby is back in prison for violating his 24 hour curfew after being charged in the death of the toddler. Duby is ordered to stay away from the toddler's mother, but officials say she's now pregnant and Duby is likely the father. Duby is charged with second degree murder and is awaiting trial.